Unsolicited requests for water testing and inspections in private homes in Orangeville
Orangeville Public Works is aware that residents in the Town of Orangeville have been receiving unsolicited at-home visits and requests from people asking to test the water or inspect the water meter or water filters inside their homes or apartments.
The presentation used by these people can sometimes give the impression they are working on behalf of the Town of Orangeville, or that there are concerns with the quality of the Town’s drinking water. In most cases, these people represent companies that are attempting to sell residents in-home water treatment systems. The use of these in-home systems is a matter of personal preference.
The Orangeville drinking water system is owned and operated by the Town of Orangeville. Residents are advised that the Town of Orangeville does not hire privately-owned companies to test the water on its behalf. All in-home water testing done by the Town is performed by the Town's certified water works operators, and is generally only done at the request of the resident. Water works operators carry Town-issued photo identification to show residents prior to entering a home.
Residential water meters in Orangeville are serviced under contract with Neptune Technology (Canada) Ltd. The Town will advise residents in advance by writing if their water meter is not reading properly and needs to be repaired or replaced. Neptune Technology employees working on behalf of the Town always carry appropriate personal identification with them and will present it to residents before entering a house or apartment to work on the water meter.
Residents should be aware of the following:
- Orangeville's drinking water system is operated in compliance with provincial regulations.
- The quality of Orangeville's drinking water must satisfy provincial drinking water quality standards.
- Orangeville's water works operators must be certified and licensed in accordance with provincial regulations.
- Orangeville's drinking water system is inspected annually by the Ontario Ministry of the Environment and Climate Change.
- Water samples collected by Orangeville water works operators are tested at a provincially-accredited laboratory.
- The annual water works report is available to the public on the Town's website at www.orangeville.ca. The report provides the results of the regulated water quality testing done by the Town.
Town staff is available to answer any questions residents may have about the Orangeville drinking water system. Please contact the Orangeville Public Works Department at 519-941-0440 Ext. 2250 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org .